NX, formerly known as NX Unigraphics or usually just UG, is an advanced high-end CAD/CAM/CAE software package originally developed by Unigraphics, but since 2007 by Siemens PLM Software.
It is used, among other tasks, for:
- Design (parametric and direct solid/surface modelling)
- Engineering analysis (static, dynamic, electro-magnetic, thermal, using the finite element method, and fluid using thefinite volume method).
- Manufacturing finished design by using included machining modules.
NX is a direct competitor to TopSolid, CATIA, Creo, Autodesk Inventor, and SolidWorks.
- Computer-aided design (CAD) (Design)
- Parametric solid modeling (feature-based and direct modeling)
- Freeform surface modelling, class A surfaces.
- Reverse engineering
- Styling and computer-aided industrial design
- Engineering drawing (Drafting)
- Product and manufacturing information (PMI)
- Reporting and analytics, verification and validation
- Knowledge reuse, including knowledge-based engineering
- Sheet metal design
- Assembly modelling and digital mockup
- Routing for electrical wiring and mechanical piping
- Computer-aided engineering (CAE) (Simulation)
- Stress analysis / finite element method (FEM)
- Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and thermal analysis
- Computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) (Manufacturing) ()
- Numerical control (NC) programming